Friday, April 15, 2011

This is on my mind...

I lost complete track of this fun challenge from Rhonda from Down to Earth.  And each time I finally realise the challenge is happening, the weekend is halfway over.  But not today... Today I have an entry :-)


This is vetkoek.  It is very much traditional South African.  We used to have this a lot when we still lived in South Africa.  It is yummy with mince or cheese or even sweet fillings.  I even once had one with caramel and banana and really really liked that :-).  We haven't made this in a very very long time.  I actually stopped cooking with oil a long time ago, but this past week I thought it would be nice to make this again.  Now I'm not very good at making my own bread dough, so I went to the local New World to ask if they wouldn't mind preparing some for me that I could then buy and so I ordered 2kg of fresh bread dough.  Of course I got some funny looks from the staff at the checkout - not quite sure what I was going to do with it.  And last night we made this.  It was very yummy indeed :-)

Basically you take the dough, roll balls, flatten them and put them into the oil.It should be deep enough to let your dough float to the top, it should be hot, but should not be so hot that it turns brown too quickly. It has to cook nice and slow so the insides can be well cooked.

4 comments:

Alynia said...

I try to imagine oliebollen with mince or cheese. Not a bad idea, I'll try it when it's the time for those again here in the Netherlands!

Mary said...

Interesting!

Becky said...

Can you bake these instead of frying them? Sounds interesting.

amanda said...

Koningskos! Het dit self lanklaas gemaak en julle s'n lyk so "yummy" dat my mond water!! Laat mens terugdink aan Sasolburg, kerkbasaar en tannie van sondagskool. {Dana?}