Friday, April 15, 2011

Trial Cake

On Monday I wrote about starting some of the prep work for Bianca's birthday party.  I know it is still a little while, but from experience I've learned that if I leave things till the last minute, they have a habit of going all wrong.  And in fact I was reminded of this when I was doing Caitlyn's birthday cake in February.  Not a good feeling when you suddenly realise at 11pm the night before the party that things are not going as you hoped. 

Bianca is hoping to have a Harry Potter birthday party and we saw this really cool cake.  A big book with a wizard's hat on top and so I just knew I was going to have to make a trial cake.

Here it is:

The book isn't too bad.  Although I forgot to cut the bottom one completely flat so it doesn't sit as nice as a book could.  And I think the book cover really needs to be thicker.  The hat is supposed to be black, but I ran out of black colouring so this one is this dark grey colour.  And the actual one won't have stars but because of the dark grey, I painted this on just to make it look a bit nicer.  I will also have to remember to shape it a bit better to better represent a wizard hat and unfortunately I ran out of icing, but the rim definitely needs to be wider.  But for a first attempt I think it is good.  And as long as it tastes good then that's all that matters.

So there it is, my first attempt at Bianca's cake. 

3 comments:

amanda said...

Baie interessant.En knap gedaan. Ek het nie boek gelees of fliek gesien maar sterre behoort oulik te lyk op towenaarshoed. Het nou die dag harry potter cupcakes gesien toe ek iets anders ge-google het. Dit lyk ook oulik. Gesigte met hare en bril. Kan dalk savoury muffins ook so versier met kaas of vegemite hare/pretzels vir bril / en skyfies weense worsies vir oe of so iets...dink maar net...iets anders as soet eetgoed...as bykos....

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is so cool!!!!
You never fail to stun me, Lea.
Bridget

RosemaryO said...

Wow! what a great looking cake. I love it. It looks like you did a good job and like you say if it tastes good, that is all that matters , but it is a cool looking cake for sure.
Rosemary