Monday, May 2, 2011

Decisions, decisons...

One of the things I have wanted to do for about a year now (but never really sat down and achieved) is a crochet or knitted blanket for each of my girls.  Something warm and cuddly.  Hopefully something that will become a treasured possession as they grow older.  And so I've been looking in books and searched the internet for some inspiration for a pattern or an idea of what it could look like.  I think granny square blankets could look really stunning.

Click here for the website.


And I've been particularly interested in a chevron type of blanket.  I just like the style for a blanket, but I've yet to get my head around how to actually do it.

Click here for the website.

I really like moss stitch.

Click here for the website.
Or maybe just plain squares...

Click here for website.
And then of course there is the question of colours.  My girls have always been very typical girls in that they liked pink and purple.  Bianca did go through a phase when she was 2 where her favourite colour was yellow (or lello as she said at the time), but I think that was mostly because of the fact that she liked Lala from the Teletubbies most.


So tonight I decided to ask the girls what their favourite colours at the moment were and Bianca is:

  • White
  • Light blue
  • Pink


And Caitlyn:


  • White
  • Blue
  • Pink
  • Purple


Hmmm, I wonder if that is only because big sister likes white and blue... :-)

So now to decide on a style... And if I want to try and make this for Christmas I better start moving otherwise it will be another year and I'll still be looking for inspiration.

So what sort of knitted / crochet blankets do you like?

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hello Lea, I haven't visited for a while, so shall do some catching up.
Thanks for including the links for all the pretty style of rugs. I like that Chevron style.
I'm sure your girls will treasure their own special rug made with love by Mum :D)

Jess said...

I love those granny square blankets but don't know how to crochet. My flatmate is going to make this one - http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall08/PATTopart.html
I've fallen in love with the vintage DK and prism organic dk from skeinz and they're a good price if you're looking for wool to use