Friday, September 9, 2011

The dreams we have when we are young

Caitlyn is adamant that one day when she grows up she is going to be a hairdresser.  No idea where that aspiration is coming from and thanks to my friend Verity the kids have their very own hairdresser training head to play around with.  Of course I had to insist that no scissors will come near it.  Can you imagine?  So the kids are having loads of fun brushing the hair and putting pretty hair clips in it.  They haven't settled on a name yet for Mrs Head, but maybe soon...

So all of this made me think back to when I was much younger and what I thought I might become when I was all grown up.  My mum was a teacher and so was my grandmother, but I don't think I really ever specifically wanted to be a teacher.  I do remember that when I was about 13 I really wanted to be a poet.  And for a few years I actually did attempt to write poetry.  And I once attempted to get them published, but of course the market for poetry is pretty small I would imagine and my poems were probably not all that great so I never really succeeded as a world famous poet (no surprises there).

I wonder how many of us decide to do something when we are little and then we actually become what we thought we'd become when we are all grown up. 

When you were little, what did you want to become and what did you end up doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what i wanted to be when i was little but i am still in school. But my cousin when he was little he had always wanted to be a fire fighter and he is gone to school now to become one.

Amanda